Columbus dating scene

Rail traffic into Columbus increased—by 1875, eight railroads served Columbus, and the rail companies built a new, more elaborate station.During the Civil War, Columbus was a major base for the volunteer Union Army.The 1763 Treaty of Paris ceded the Ohio Country to the British Empire.After the American Revolution, the Ohio Country became part of the Virginia Military District, under the control of the United States.

The two railroads built a joint Union Station on the east side of High Street just north of Naghten (then called North Public Lane).A wave of European immigrants led to the creation of two ethnic enclaves on the city's outskirts.A large Irish population settled in the north along Naghten Street (presently Nationwide Boulevard), while the Germans took advantage of the cheap land to the south, creating a community that came to be known as the Das Alte Südende (The Old South End).It housed 26,000 troops and held up to 9,000 Confederate prisoners of war at Camp Chase, at what is now the Hilltop neighborhood of west Columbus.Over 2,000 Confederate soldiers remain buried at the site, making it one of the North's largest Confederate cemeteries. By virtue of the Morrill Land-Grant Colleges Act, the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College (which became The Ohio State University) founded in 1870 on the former estate of William and Hannah Neil.

Leave a Reply